Policies and Guidelines pertaining to the NAAD System consist of 3 levels:
1. NAAD System Rules
In consultation with Pelmorex’s Governance Council, Pelmorex has adopted certain policies and rules to govern the operation of the NAAD System. These are practical rules to encourage distribution by broadcasters and must be compliant with CAP/CAP-CP standards. The NAAD System rules are listed below:
- New Test Message Policy - V 2.1 - effective April 01, 2015
- New Broadcast Immediately - NAAD Support Policy, as approved November 20, 2014 - for implementation April 1, 2015
- Alert Message & Attachment Size Restrictions - V 2.0
- Compliance with CAP & CAP-CP Alerting Standards - V 2.0
- Alert Message Attachment Types - V 1.0
- Use of Digital Signatures by NAAD & AGA Systems - V 1.0
- 3rd Language Policy - V 1.0
- NAAD System Technical Notice on Digital Signatures
2. CAP-CP or Canadian Profile Rules
This second set of rules come from the Canadian Profile for CAP Standard, managed by a government body representing Senior Officials Representing Emergency Managers (SOREM). These rules must be compliant with CAP.
3. CAP Rules
Both above set of rules are based on the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) Standard. CAP provides an open, non-proprietary digital message format for all types of emergency alerts and notifications over all kinds of networks. The CAP specification is owned by OASIS.
The following is a list of CAP-CP/CAP Rules adopted by Pelmorex Governance Council for use in the NAAD System: